When we aren’t discussing theology, apologetics, and worldview, we’re probably talking about one of our favorite things in the universe: Star Wars! We especially love finding ways to use Star Wars to discuss worldview issues. I’ve compiled a list of all of the resources we have on worldview and a galaxy far, far away, as well as some by friends and other ministries. So here it is—Star Wars and Worldview: the Greatest Guide in the Galaxy!
Star Wars and Worldview
- The Apolojedi & the Power of The Force – Stratton discusses how his parents first used Star Wars to teach him truths about Christianity as a child.
- Yoda & K-2: Semi-Compatibilism & Responsibility – Stratton uses characters from various Star Wars movies to argue against compatibilism.
- Marvel Comics, Star Wars, & the DCU: The Multiverse vs Compatibilism – Besides Star Wars, our other love is superheroes. Stratton uses examples from both to argue against compatibilism (again).
- Yoda & Paul: To What Does Fear Lead? – In The Empire Strikes Back, Yoda makes his famous statement, “Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, and hate leads to suffering.” But does it really end there? The Apostle Paul says otherwise….
Luke Skywalker & the Emotional Problem of the Dark Side – What can grumpy, old Luke from The Last Jedi teach us about the emotional problem of evil?
- Sacrifice and Redemption in the Skywalker Saga – Fox discusses two of the main themes in the entire Skywalker Saga: sacrifice and redemption.
- May the Force Bewitch You: Evaluating the Star Wars Worldview (Christian Research Institute) – Robert Velarde examines the Star Wars worldview in an online version of an article from the Christian Research Journal.
- Freedom Through Obedience: A Lesson From Star Wars (Sean McDowell.org) – Sean McDowell uses a scene from The Force Awakens to illustrate the “paradox of freedom,” that freedom is found through obedience.
- Pantheism’s Finest Hour (Summit Ministries) – Ben Kaiser examines the pantheistic worldview of the Star Wars universe.
- Star Wars and the Temptation of Power (Summit Ministries) – Ben Kaiser explores the use of power throughout the Skywalker Saga.
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- Rogue One: A Lesson About Free Will & Responsibility – What can K-2SO, the droid from Rogue One, teach us about free will and moral responsibility?
- Rogue One Reflections: Death and Hope – Death and hope are some main themes of Rogue One. How do these things relate to us as Christians?
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
- 5 Reasons the Force Is Strong with The Rise of Skywalker – Stratton discusses 5 prominent worldview issues in The Rise of Skywalker.
- The Rise of Skywalker & the Failure of Relativism – Guest blogger Nathan Apodaca uses The Rise if Skywalker to discuss the problems with moral relativism.
- Ep. 98 Star Wars TROS Talk (Part 1), Ep. 99 Star Wars TROS Talk (Part 2) – Stratton and Scott Olson discuss The Rise of Skywalker on The FreeThinking Podcast
- 10 Reasons Why The Mandalorian Is My Favorite Star Wars Character – Stratton offers a combination of ten fun and serious reasons why we should all love Disney+’s The Mandalorian.
- This is the Way (Summit Ministries) – Both as a Mandalorian and a bounty hunter, Mando knows what it’s like to follow a strict code. But he learns that sometimes, the rules are wrong and must be broken for the greater good. Fox discusses what The Mandalorian can teach us about the nature of morality.
That’s it for Star Wars and Worldview: The Greatest Guide in the Galaxy! Is there a resource related to a galaxy far, far away we may have missed? Tell us on the socials and maybe it’ll be included in a future update! May the Force be with you.